Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Snow Storms and Throat Singing?

So, living on the east coast is a very different animal than living on the west coast. For starters, who knew that the sun actually rose OUT of the ocean? I mean, it's only right and proper place is to set INTO the ocean, isn't it? Then there are the houses and apartments in the area. I have never seen so many brick buildings in one place. Or ones clad in granite. Or marble. Or whatever else kind of stone they use out here. Very strange, houses are supposed to be built out of wood or stucco. And oddly, when there is an earthquake, a lot of those bricks either fall off or the mortar is cracked. But they never have earthquakes out here right? Right?

Oh. Yeah.

And then ther was Saturday's surprise storm. It dumped almost three feet of snow on New England, but down here it just made a mess. Lots of snow that didn't stick, lots of rain that just made things wet, and a bit of a cold snap to make things interesting. So what did yours truly do during the surprise snowpocolypse? played video games, ate cold pizza, filed papers, and was generally a slug all day.

It. Was. Wonderful!

Not that I am likely to repeat it, but once in awhile it is ok to do absolutely nothing, and like it.

So that meant that Sunday was shopping day, and get-other-things-done day, followed by dinner and a concert with friends. I didn't go see Jimmy Buffett, Cowboy Mouth, The Beastie Boys, Iron Maiden, or any one else that I know and love. Oh no. When you have 100 new friends that have all traveled the world and seen many things, you end up at a concert of Tuvan throat singing. Right, I'd never heard of it either. I will admit to being skeptical but I had to get out after Saturday, so this was the perfect opportunity. The band's name is Alash Ensemble, and is a quartet of Master Singers from Tuva, and their talent proved it. To say that I was impressed is an understatement. The music was haunting, and like nothing I had ever heard before. I have heard musicians use their bodies as an instrument (Bobby McFarrin, Take 6) but never heard someone create more than one sound from their throat at the same time.

All I can say is that it was amazing. If you get a chance to hear them, or others like them, I highly recommend it. You can hear their music on iTunes, or on their website. Either way, give them a try, and listen closely. When you hear a lonely, high note that seems to be coming from nowhere, you will be hearing a person creating two notes at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment