Saturday, November 19, 2011

The other thing that I forgot

When last I posted, I had forgotten the other thing that I wanted to talk about. Now I have remembered. Actually, I remembered on Tuesday but I've been a bit lazy so I am posting today. Two weeks ago I got to go on a White House tour. This may not seem like a big thing to some of you, but if you have ever tried to get on a tour, it is quite the process. Honestly, it really was interesting to walk through. There are amazing pictures, a mix of beautiful furniture and stuff I wouldn't put in YOUR house. Two things stand out the most from the tour: first was the Army First Sergeant that proposed to his girlfriend in the Blue Room. Turns out that you can arrange it with the Secret Service to pop the question in one of the nicest rooms in the White House. The second thing was that we got to see the First Lady walking the First Dog on the South Lawn. I know, I know, it's kind of lame to be excited about this. But really? How many Americans can say the same thing?

But while these things were cool, and I enjoyed my tour, it was what happened before the tour that was the most interesting. Walking up to the White House, there was a fire truck and an ambulance parked INSIDE the fence. This was, obviously, concerning. What happened? A shooting? Beat-down? No such luck. Just some random tourist that was so moved by the experience of touring the White House she fainted right there.

The second cool thing was, in fact, a beat down. Sort of. As we got to Pennsylvania Ave. there was a large group of police surrounding someone on the ground, and more police were showing up by the second. We didn't see it happen, but some protestor had chosen to get in an argument with the police, and instead of following directions, chose to turn and run. Moron. Seriously people, when across the street from the White House, DO NOT try and run from the police. You WILL get jacked up and be at the bottom of (Ok, I'm really sorry about this, but the pun writes itself) a pig pile.

Yes, I said it, but didn't any of you play pig pile? I'm just hoping you weren't drinking anything when you read that last bit, and did a big spit take all over your computer, cause I'm not liable for damages.

Any-who, our protagonist was trussed up and dealt with in some fashion or another, because he wasn't there when we finished the tour. After the tour, my friends and I headed off to Founding Farmers for a wonderful breakfast, good company, and then went our separate ways for the rest of the weekend.

Tomorrow, if you're lucky, I will tell you about my experience at the Newseum.

Be well neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment