Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Paperwork

I'm going to work for the US Government. Again. I was reminded of this when I had to fill out the 10 inch thick security clearance forms. OK, fine, 3/4 of an inch, but it sure felt like more. That was only a teaser though for what was to come. Before I even leave for D.C. to start training, I had to provide State with 20 separate forms. That's right, 20.

What was my ethnicity?
Do I have a disability?
How much Life Insurance do I want?
Who gets it?
Who gets any back pay if I die on the job?

(No, I'm not whining. I know I have been hired for an amazing job and am lucky to have one. I'm just pointing out what has to happen before I even start getting paid.)

You get the picture. Some I could just fill in a couple of fields and sign. Some were bigger, and some required witnesses. There were even some I had to fill out and not send, but rather bring with me for my first day.

Did I mention that this is the US Government we are talking about? Good, because you might then understand that I also made a lot of copies of all these forms, just in case I have to turn them in again. And then give another copy to the next department, and the next, and the next, and then have copies left over when the first set is misplaced. I've done the paper dance before so I am planning on overkill, hoping I wont need any of the copies.

I know there will be LOTS more paperwork in my future, and my soul is prepared. I just hope my organizational skills are prepared too.


No comments:

Post a Comment